GS 1- UPSC Mains Examinations
GS1 is one of the four general studies papers for the UPSC Mains examination. it consists of Subjects like history, geography Indian society, and art and culture.
this article would provide you with descriptive knowledge about general studies paper 1 of the UPSC Mains examination.
Subtopic Division of General Studies Paper 1
The following is the sub-topic division of general studies paper 1 for UPSC mains examinations.
- Physical geography of India and the world
- human geography
- art and culture
- Modern history
- World History
- Demographic, social issues, and developments in Indian society
- The relevant pattern of general studies paper 1 in IAS mains examinations.
- It consists of 20 compulsory questions provided in Hindi and English as per the language selected in the application form.
- the aggregate mark of the paper is 250.
- there is significant imprecise on modern history and direct questions can be asked from Indian Resainsannsance, Freedom Struggle.
- There is high importance on current affairs-related topics for the geography syllabus.
- The Indian society syllabus gives importance to topics like women empowerment, culture in Indian society, etc.
- the word limit of answers for 10 marks questions is 150 and for the 15-mark questions, it’s 250 each.
Detailed Syllabus for GS paper 1 for UPSC Mains Examinations
- Indian Culture – Salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature, and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian History from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence Consolidation and Reorganization within the country.
- History of the World will include events from the 18th century such as the Industrial Revolution, world wars, the Redrawal of National Boundaries, Colonization, Decolonization, political philosophies like Communism, Capitalism, Socialism, etc.— their forms and effect on society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of Women and Women’s Organization, Population and Associated Issues, Poverty and Developmental issues, Urbanization, their problems, and their remedies.
- Effects of Globalization on Indian society.
- Social Empowerment, Communalism, Regionalism & Secularism.
- Salient features of the World’s Physical Geography.
- Distribution of Key Natural Resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent); factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India).
- Important Geophysical Phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclones, etc., geographical features and their location changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and flora and fauna and the effects of such changes.
Books Prescribed for UPSC mains general studies 1 paper
- Art and Culture
- India’s ancient past by RS Sharma
- Facts of Indian culture
- Modern history
- India’s struggle for independence by Bipin Chandra
- a brief history of modern India by Rajiv Ahir
- world history
- Mastering world history by Norman Lowe
- history of the world by Arjun Dev
- India after independence
- Bipin Chandra’s book of India since independence
NCERT books are Prescribed from Class vi to class xii.
Society of India
- Reports of NGOs, International organizations
- Newspaper and news bulletin
Hence these were the important information for general studies 1 paper in UPSC mains exam in a. we hope that this information would be helpful in your preparation to achieve good scores and acquire success in UPSC mains examinations.